Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My new favorite mirror...

Last month I fell in love with a white glass mosaic mirror from HomeGoods.  It was on clearance for $29.  For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why it was on clearance, after inspecting it for broken mosaic tiles or cracked grout.  I decided to count my blessings and purchase it, without the slightest idea of where to put it in the house.  When I got it home, I considered hanging it in our guest room, since that's the "girliest" of the rooms in our house, and this is a definitely "girly" mirror.  But then, after being inspired by this post from my friends over at YHL, I decided to attempt to remove my guest bathroom medicine cabinet in order to mount this mirror in its place. 

Here's a shot of the mirrored  medicine cabinet (both front and side view) prior to being removed from the wall:



It's the side view that really seals the deal on removing this unit - the mirror itself isn't in bad shape, but I've been at a loss with how to make it medicine cabinet look less like a cabinet with that much of it protruding from the wall:

All it took was a screwdriver to remove the 4 screws on the inside of the mirror, a utility knife to break the seal that was created when I painted the wall red, and it popped right out:

I was actually surprised by how nice and clean the cutout was where the cabinet used to be.  I opted to leave the hole as-is for now, in case 1) I changed my mind and decided that I needed the storage that a medicine cabinet could provide or 2) we sell the house someday, and the new owners decide that they absolutely cannot live without a medicine cabinet in the bathroom.

After the cabinet was out, the hanging of the new mirror went surprisingly easy once I measured (and re-measured, and re-measured....).  I used a plastic drywall anchor on one side, but fortunately hit a stud on the other side, so I was able to screw directly into the stud on that side.  Here's the result:



Much better, don't you think?  The only problem is, that by updating the out of date medicine cabinet, the overhead light looks even WORSE to me than it did before - but I'm on a search for the perfect light that doesn't break the bank.  Here are 2 lights I'm loving right now for this space (both from Shades of Light):

Option #1:


Option #2 :


When you factor in taxes and shipping, both of these are out of my price range, but I think these pics will at least help me to narrow my search for a similar style - I'll keep you posted on how it all turns out!

3 comments:

  1. i like option 1. i think bathrooms need lots of light. at least mine does because i like to stare at myself ... just kidding, but anyway, the second has those lamp shades that tend to block light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and excellent job with the mirror

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! i am not sure if i mentioned this before, but I would recommend pulling down your current light fixture before falling in love with a new one. if the electrical box is not centered behind the current fixture or the hole is too big for the new fixture base, it can turn into a drywall nightmare project quickly!!

    ReplyDelete